View of Port Louis harbor from Fort Adelaide also known as Citadel. For nearly two centuries, La Citadelle has stood on a hill in Port Louis, overlooking the Mauritian capital. This fort is the last of the English's four major fortifications constructed after their arrival on the island. Fort Adelaide, Fort George, Fort William, and Fort Victoria are just a few of the names that come to mind. Only Fort Adelaide, erected by the British in the 19th century, was able to repel the French invasion. After capturing the island in 1810, one of the primary concerns of the English was the erection of military structures.